Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG)
Cease the Grease
Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) improperly disposed of in the sanitary sewer system or storm drain system can cause property damage, health hazards and environmental problems.
Never pour cooking oil and grease into kitchen sinks, floor drains or toilets. Doing so can be costly to homeowners, the City and the environment. Oil and grease rinsed down the plumbing system builds up and can eventually block the entire pipe, which causes sewer back ups and overflows (a Sanitary Sewer Overflow).
How to Properly Dispose of Used Cooking Oil
- Small amounts of cooking oil can be soaked up with a paper towel or poured into a closed-lid container, such as a coffee can, and disposed of in the trash.
- Dispose of large quantities of cooking oil and grease at the Environmental Collection Center
- To dispose of a large quantity of cooking oil, let the oil cool after use. Slowly pour kitty litter into the oil. When the oil has been absorbed, discard it in a tightly sealed trash bag to prevent leaks. The trash bag can now be placed in the garbage for proper disposal.
The Defend Your Drains North Texas campaign is an educational effort that encourages residents to properly dispose of items that can harm a home's plumbing system, the region's wastewater treatment systems and water quality. It is supported by the Wastewater And Treatment Education Roundtable, an educational partnership between the North Central Texas Council of Governments, municipalities and water utilities in the North Texas region. For more information, visit the Defend Your Drains website.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is the lead environmental agency for the State of Texas. Learn more about keeping Fats, Oils and Grease out of the sewer system on the TCEQ's website.
- Let's Tackle the Grease in This Kitchen - English (PDF)
- Let's Tackle the Grease in This Kitchen - Spanish (PDF)
- Cease the Grease - English (PDF)
- Cease the Grease - Spanish (PDF)
- How a Sewer Blockage Affects the Sewer System - English (PDF)
- How a Sewer Blockage Affects the Sewer System - Spanish (PDF)