Councilmember Place 4
Councilmember Javier Alvarez
Councilmember Alvarez was born in Corpus Christi and raised in Austin. He and his wife, Deborah, have four children: Zachary, Isabel, Marissa and Evelyn. His family attends the North Richland Hills Baptist Church, where Deborah and Councilmember Alvarez serve as teachers/leaders of the 11th grade Sunday school. He received his Bachelor of Science in Political Science from the University of Texas at San Antonio.
Councilmember Alvarez dropped out of high school in his sophomore year to pursue his dream of a career in boxing. In 1990, the State of Texas Senate recognized Councilmember Alvarez as the first Hispanic in United States history to win a Heavyweight Boxing Championship. He retired from the sport in 1993 with more than 400 wins in a 20-year career, two US National Championships Gold medals and three Silver medals.
Councilmember Alvarez has worked a total of 22 years with three municipalities after retiring from his career in boxing: the City of Austin (Municipal Courts), the City of San Antonio (Office of Community Affairs) and the City of Dallas (Housing Department and the Office of Homeless Solutions). While working for the City of Dallas, Councilmember Alvarez had the opportunity to bring together his skills to solve neighborhood issues and improve quality of life to citizens living in south and east Dallas neighborhoods. In March 2022, he retired from the City of Dallas. Councilmember Alvarez seeks to be a true servant leader and remains committed to serving the citizens of Richland Hills.
- Development Committee
- Building Board of Appeals
- Crime Control and Prevention District (CCPD)
- Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. 1
Duties of Councilmembers
Per the City of Richland Hills Home Rule Charter (PDF), the duties of City of Richland Hills councilmembers are as follows:
Sec. 6.03. - Powers and duties of City Council.
The powers and duties herein conferred upon the City Council shall include but shall not be limited to the following:
(1) To appoint and remove the City Manager, City Attorney, Municipal Judge and relief Municipal Judges, and other such employees required by state law to be appointed by the City Council.
(2) To establish other administrative departments and distribute the work of divisions and to abolish or consolidate said departments and divisions.
(3) To adopt the budget of the City.
(4) To authorize the issuance of:
A. Bonds by a bond ordinance;
B. Certificates of obligation subject to the notice, petition and election provisions as provided within V.T.C.A, Local Government Code §271041, the Certificate of Obligation Act.
(5) To inquire into the conduct of any office, department, or agency of the City and make investigation as to municipal affairs.
(6) To appoint all commissions, boards, committees, task forces and/or appointed groups to assist the Council in the performance of its duties and responsibilities, such powers subject to the restrictions of the Charter and the laws of the State of Texas.
(7) To adopt plats.
(8) To adopt and modify the official map of the City.
(9) To regulate, license, and fix the charges or fares made by any person owning, obtaining or controlling any vehicle of any character used for carrying of passengers for hire on the public streets and alleys of the City.
(10) To provide for the establishment and designations of fire limits and to prescribe the kind and character of buildings or structures or improvements to be erected therein, and provide for the condemnation of dangerous structures or buildings or dilapidated buildings calculated to increase the fire hazard, and the manner of their removal or destruction.
(11) To fix the salaries and compensation for the non-elective City officers and employees.
(12) To provide for sanitary sewer and water system.
(13) May regulate burial grounds, cemeteries, and crematories and condemn and close any such burial grounds, cemeteries, and crematories in the thickly settled portions of the City when public interest or public health may demand, and may regulate interment of the deceased.